This guide will provide you with a list of the best nursing schools in the U.S. The list does not cover every nursing school out there and if a particular nursing school is not listed on our list does not necessarily mean that a school you are looking for is not a good school.
The list is to enlighten you on which are considered the best nursing schools voted on nationally. There are three educational paths to prepare for a career as a registered nurse:
- Community college or vocational school offer associate degree (ASN) programs and hospital diploma programs which take 2-3 years of full-time study.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) programs take at least 4 years of full-time study at a college or university.
- Nurses in advanced practice specialties, such as nurse practitioners, nurse anaesthetists, clinical nurse specialists, and nursing consultants must obtain a master’s or doctorate degree in nursing.
Approximately 13% of nurses today hold an advanced degree. Advanced practice nurses perform approximately 70% to 80% of the same medical services a physician perform, and can prescribe medication in 49 states.
Nurses with bachelor’s degrees typically find more employment opportunities and advancement possibilities so the majority of registered nurses entering the workforce today obtain their BSN.
Below you’ll find a few of the best nursing schools:
- Johns Hopkins University – Johns Hopkins University school of nursing offers three undergraduate programs.
- University of California, San Francisco – University of California San Francisco has consistently ranked among the top-ranked nursing schools in the country.
- University of Illinois – The University of Illinois offers a number of BSN, master’s and doctorate degree programs.
- University of Michigan – The University of Michigan School of Nursing offers three undergraduate programs, 20 master’s programs, and doctorate and post-doctorate fellowship programs.
- University of Washington – For more than 20 years, the University of Washington has ranked among the top nursing schools in the country.
- University of North Carolina – The University of North Carolina offers three BSN options.
- University of Pennsylvania – University of Pennsylvania offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate degrees in nursing.
- University of Texas at Austin – The university offers a bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate programs.
- Yale University – Yale offers a number of master’s, certificate and doctorate degrees in nursing.
Again this is just a short list of the best nursing schools in America. There are plenty of top nursing schools that you can choose from to begin a rewarding nursing career. Do some research and find out which is the best nursing schools that fit your needs.